How can you lift a go-kart using the proper go-kart lifting techniques?
Go-karts usually weigh around 70 to 80 kg or 160 to 180 lbs. So, there may be other options than lifting a go-kart alone, especially when you have crucial engine repairs. That’s where lifting techniques and tools like jacks or electric kart stand will make the difference.
But why should we use proper lifting techniques? If you’re not someone with a herculean build, following a proper go-kart lifting procedure is your best option. These lifting techniques will reduce potential risks and ensure the safety of your go-kart.
This article will provide a detailed guide on how to lift a go-kart properly for maintenance or engine repairs.
How To Lift A Go-Kart On Your Own?
Lifting a go-kart can be challenging, especially if you do it alone. However, it is not entirely impossible if you know the right technique and tool for the job.
Here are some of the things you need to consider if you want to lift a go-kart alone.
- Weight and Size – As mentioned earlier, go-karts can weigh up to 80 lbs, which means considering their weight and size will help you plan your lifting process. You can employ jacks or hydraulic lifts for go-karts to lift your go-kart using a proper lifting technique.
- Challenges and Risks – Lifting a heavy go-kart poses various challenges and risks. For instance, if your go-kart is longer, you may fail to grab the right lifting points and risk dropping your go-kart. This fall may cause your go-kart to malfunction or damage its essential parts.
Also Read: The ins and out of go-kart transportation
So how can you lift a go-kart on your own? If your go-kart is manageable by yourself, you can get your job done using different tools and proper lifting techniques. However, if your go-kart is on the heavier side, it would be best to seek assistance in the lifting process.
Preparing To Lift A Go-Kart
Every job requires preparation, and that’s what you need during your go-kart’s lifting process. Here are the things you need to check while preparing to lift a go-kart.
- Inspect your go-kart for any loose parts or debris.
- Identify the loose parts and remove or secure them properly before lifting.
- Minimize the weight by unscrewing removable parts.
- Empty your fuel tank to reduce the weight and prevent fuel leakage.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary equipment, like a wrench and a jack, before proceeding with the lifting process.
Once you have everything set in place, you should be able to lift your go-kart with minimal fuss. However, ensure that you seek assistance if you are doing it for the first time.
Choosing The Right Lifting Points
Choosing the right lifting points is equally important as preparing your go-kart for the lifting process.
For instance, most manufacturers provide designated lifting points in their go-karts, which help owners to lift their go-karts without any damage. These points prevent damage to your go-kart’s suspension, chassis, tires, and frame.
Different go-kart models have contrasting lifting points, so you may have to inspect and identify the points and assemble the right tools for the job. Furthermore, you can remove your go-kart’s wheels, front faring, side pods, and rear bumper to make your go-kart light and small.
Once you have all these parts removed, you should have enough lifting points to lift your go-kart safely. You can employ a floor jack, jack stands, or a DIY go-kart lifting mechanism to support each lifting point.
You can refer to your manufacturer’s manual or read the markings on your go-kart’s chassis to identify the specific lifting points.
Lifting The Go-Kart
Once you’ve completed your inspection and identified specific lifting points, you can proceed with the lifting process. You can use different go-kart jack options to lift your go-kart as per your requirements.
However, if you are using a floor jack and jack stands, this step-by-step instruction will make your task effortless.
- Set your floor jack near the lifting point after identifying a suitable location.
- Raise the floor jack slowly until your go-kart’s wheels are off the ground.
- Once you attain the desired height, place the jack stands under the go-kart.
- Ensure that the jack stands sits below the designated lifting points to support the go-kart’s weight.
- Once you have the jack stands set, lower your go-kart on it slowly.
- Test your go-kart’s stability and conduct a final inspection before proceeding.
You can also unscrew removable parts to make your go-kart lighter, which will also make it smaller and more manageable.
Lifting Load Safety Precautions
Whether you are hoisting a go-kart for a tire change or other maintenance, you should take various safety precautions to prevent any untoward accidents. Since go-karts are heavy, they can cause serious injury to your hands or other body parts, especially when you are lifting a go-kart.
Here are some safety precautions you must follow while lifting a go-kart.
1. Wear appropriate gear
Safety gear protects your body parts from potential risks, making them very essential while lifting a heavy go-kart. In short, it would be best to wear high-quality gloves and safety glasses during the lifting process.
2. Inspect the surrounding
Since you’re dealing with heavy machinery, inspecting the area and clearing obstacles is a healthy practice before proceeding with a lifting process. It will help prevent tripping hazards and will make your workflow smooth during the operation.
3. Seek Assistance
Although you can lift a go-kart alone using the proper lifting technique, experts always recommend seeking assistance when they provide go-kart maintenance tips. Furthermore, you may require help while aligning go-kart chassis lifting points, especially if you are working with a heavier machine.
Performing Maintenance Or Repairs
Although go-karts are small compared to traditional vehicles, lifting your go-kart provides access to those parts that are not easily accessible. You can access these areas with minimal effort and make necessary changes to boost your go-kart’s performance.
For instance, you can change the oil, rectify issues with the braking system, or adjust the suspension to give you more confidence and stability while driving. You can even perform custom modifications to customize the look and feel of your go-kart.
However, always refrain from making major modifications or complex repairs, as they can hinder your go-kart’s performance. So, if you feel that the issue at hand is way out of your league, it would be best to seek professional help.
Lowering The Go-Kart
Just like lifting, lowering the go-kart is also a vital aspect of the procedure. If you ignore this process, you can end up with a damaged go-kart.
Here are the steps you can follow to lower your go-kart safely.
- Ensure that you don’t have any equipment or gear underneath the go-kart during the lowering process.
- Maintain a safe distance from the jack stands and ensure that the floor jack is in the desired location.
- Once you have everything in place, use the floor jack to lower your go-kart.
- Remove the jack stands while lowering the go-kart.
- Ensure that your go-kart is on the ground before you remove the floor jack.
Also Read: Top Tips for Go-Karting Success
Learning how to lift a go-kart can be challenging. But, if you employ the right lifting techniques and use specific equipment, you can get the job done with minimal fuss. Furthermore, implementing proper lifting techniques prevents damage to the go-kart and keeps you safe from any untoward accidents.
However, always ensure that you read the manufacturer’s manual and follow specific lifting instructions, as each go-kart model might require a different lifting approach.